Friday, June 26, 2009

Holiday In the Whitsundays


For spring break Jessie and I travelled to Cairns and then took a nine hour overnight bus to the Whitsundays to board on our two day, two night sailing trip. After our four long days of adventure in the cairns we were ready for some Rest and Relaxation. At midnight we took a cab to the Greyhound bus station. When we got out of the cab a rat crawled on my foot. I flipped out and started screaming. Everyone told me to relax in which I replied, " Have you not heard of a little something called THE BLACK PLAGUE". We boarded the bus and headed off. At 3am I a woke up and we were pulled up at a rest stop. I got off the bus to go to the bathroom. The bathrooms were labeled : Mangoes, No Mangoes. I just stood there, staring at them, wondering if I was considered a mango or a no mango..... I decided I was a no mango, but I am still unsure if I went in the correct bathroom.

We finally arrived at Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays and boarded the boat. We were told that it was a no shoes boat and were all forced to put our footwear in a big bag. I was really worried about getting sea sick and made sure to buy tons of motion sickness meds which I took diligently every four hours.

Those were the two most relaxing days I have experienced in a long time. The sunsets on the Whitsunday islands were beautiful! At night we were giving the option to sleep on the deck of the boat, despite it being hard cement, I opted for the deck. I fell asleep to the soft waves and woke up in the middle of the night surrounded by thousands of stars and complete darkness. I have to admit my eyes teared up a little and I put my I-pod on to a Sia song I love and let the waves rock me back to sleep with the soft summer breeze against my face.












The boat stopped at a few locations, one of them being White Haven Beach, a beach with the whitest and softest sand in the world! It was beautiful. Despite the beauty of the white sand and pure aqua water, we were forced to wear stinger suits, as it was deadly jellyfish season. I guess even paradise has its drawbacks. At this point in the trip the weather was starting to be a bit iffy as dark clouds began to hover over the boat. Despite this, I still opted to sleep up on deck. This time when I woke up in the middle of the night it was not to stars, but instead to torrential rain. I was soaked and the only one remaining on deck. I walked downstairs to find someone else sleeping in my assigned bed. Desperate for a place to sleep, I attempted to sleep in the breakfast nook area. The next morning we headed back to shore immediately as it was reported that a category four cyclone was approaching the Whitsunday islands..........

No comments:

Post a Comment