Thursday, February 5, 2009

Australia Day



A few days ago I embarked on an Australia day celebration. The way it has been described to me, Australia day is like July 4th in the States. Everyone here told me I need to go to a BBQ on Australia day, so it is definitely like the 4th of July. I almost got invited to a BBQ at this girls birthday party too, but when she heard that I was a friend of a friend of a friend, well she took back the invitation. Instead I went down to the rocks with a few friends. The rocks is the area in Sydney where the convicts were originally stayed. It is currently a really cute neighborhood with a lot of nice bars and restaurants. So we went down there because we heard that there was going to be a bunch of free concerts, but it was so disappointing. We found this one stage and sat down, with our nasty bottle of wine, waiting for the act to start and out came a man and a tambourine, and only a tambourine. It was terrible. He was trying to get the crowd going too and it was just not happening. After about 30 minutes of sitting there listening to a man shake a tambourine we got up and left. Thinking about it now I have no idea why we listened for that long, the only conclusion I have come to is that we were just too lazy to move.
We started walking back and I noticed this crowd of people gathered around these two men in aboriginal paint. The aboriginal community call Australia day survivor day.These two men were in traditional clothing and paint playing the didgeridoo. I thought it was really interesting until they announced that it was now time for people to come and take pictures with them if they pleased. I stood there and watched as random people walked and posed with their thumbs up and tongue sticking out beside these two men. I have to say it kinda made me uncomfortable. I cant explain why, but i guess in my mind I compare it to as if I decided to go to Idaho and pose in the town square and announce to people that they could come and take a picture with a real live Jewish person at this time. Something about it felt odd to me, but I may just be looking at in the wrong way.
we continued to walk around, but it was starting to rain, so we just headed back to Unilodge and relaxed on the amazing couches in the lobby area. I was okay with this plan, as it had been an exhausting weekend; a great weekend, but exhausting.

1 comment:

  1. I would have made Australia day and I'm not even from there!

    W/e you do, do it! Enjoy it, at least you're making memories!

    ReplyDelete